Thursday, October 13, 2011

Here Goes Nothin'

Once again, it's been way too long since I updated this blog.  I have a couple of new goals.  One is to do better to keep up with this blog.  I'm not going to make the goal any more specific than that; I just need to be better.

So...here's an update.  We moved back to St. George for Patrick to attend Dixie State College.  He is enjoying his classes and is doing really well, but he is a very busy man with full time school and a full time job (which we are super grateful for!).  I have the pleasure (sometimes displeasure, but I'm super grateful for it too) of staying home with the boys.  I have struggled to feel like I'm doing my job well enough, but I am working toward improvement, so I guess that's good.


Ethan continues to do very well in school and really enjoys being in first grade.  He is a great speller and reader.  He makes me so proud!  He has made new friends quickly, and he has an admirer whom I think he also admires.  He has his first loose tooth.  That thing has been holding on, but getting more and more loose for months.  Ethan loves to clean and help with anything I let him help with.  He's a very sweet and sympathetic boy.


Spencer is getting used to the boredom that is being home alone with Mommy all day long.  He keeps me entertained, though.  He makes me laugh every day.  Not only is he a normal silly four-year-old, he also has a great sense of humor.  He really enjoys making people laugh.  The best part is his ability to keep a straight face through his humor.  It's great.  Spencer also has found a new passion for numbers and math.  He is almost constantly thinking or talking out equations, and sometimes shocks me with the things he knows.  Spencer has a hard time being helpful since everything I ask him to do "will take forever", but his cuddles and cuteness definitely make up for it.

Alright...now for my other goal.  Brace yourself for a moment of truth.  I have decided that it's (way past!) time to get serious about this whole exercise thing.  And here's why:

Yes, that's a scale.  And, yes, that's my weight.

All four of you who read my blog probably reacted in some small way to this confession.  One or two of you might be wondering why I would share this with the whole small world that reads this blog.  Maybe, possibly, one or two of you are thinking That's it?!  She's worrying about a measly 163 pounds?  Well, here is the reality.  I have never before in my life seen this number on my scale unless I was pregnant.  And, the most sobering part of this reality is that even when I was seeing smaller numbers on the scale, I wasn't really healthy.  This reality does not excite me.  So, I've decided to make a change.  And, although none of you have volunteered, I've decided to let you help me.  Don't worry, it's easy.  All you have to do is pretend to read my blog.  Actually, you don't even have to pretend.  I'll do that pretending for you.  See, the point is for me to have some added accountability, and since my other goal is to keep up with my blog, I am going to pretend that you expect some sort of an update on my weight loss/fitness.  Just the fact that I've told you about this goal should be enough for you to believe I'm serious, but in case you need some more convincing; I bought new running shoes and a sports bra.  Yep.  I have been doing some treadmill running the past two weeks, and I was getting tired of clunking around in shoes not made for running and having my bra straps fall down every two seconds.  So, now I'm ready.  I will be more specific with this goal.  I would love to lose at least 30 pounds, but my real goal is just to feel healthy, because I know that will help me to be more happy.  And don't these cute boys deserve to have a healthy and happy Mommy?


I think so.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome! You need to start small with your weight goal, though. Like 5 by Christmas or something. You can do it! And I'll be checking on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for real running shoes and bras. Now it's serious. Good for you! You should take Spencer to the park and walk around the playground--then you both get out of the house. Although, it might take FOREVER to figure out who to play with at the park if Ethan's not there. :) He is so much like M it kills me.

    ReplyDelete